I put the pin in place and cushioned the metal tabs with an old sock.
And pinched away. I was able to fairly easily and with good control.
Unfortunately, both tabs did not bend. Only one did. I decided not to fuss with it, because the gap is closed and now locked around the clip and it will function correctly.
Since the bike has been stored I had a bit of oil in there to protect the tank from rust. I used a little gasoline and flushed it all out. When I turned the fuel rod lever nothing happened. I removed the switch on the fuel valve and all look good. I put it back together and turned it with a screw driver an off an on the fuel work. The problem was the lever on the fuel rod. It is held on by tension and spins around the rod. I will use blue Locktite or JB Weld or Epoxy to lock it in place. I just need to determine what product is best.
The hardware for the gas tank and seat were pretty rusty. I could easily replace it, but I like the idea of a few hidden parts to show the past and soul of the bike. So I used some WD-40 and a wire brush and cleaned up the threads. I used gasoline on the tougher spots.
Note the black tape holding that screw in place. The nut on the underside came loose. It's hard to work in there. I may Locktite the nut in place or replace it.
To guide the fuel rod I use a long strand of black tape since the lever was off. Easy install. I still need to glue the lever on to the rod in the OFF POSITION and I will be good.