Saturday, January 14, 2012
No normal restoration takes this long. I have made many major changes throughout the process and therefore, well you know . . .
Before I can move forward I need to rebuild the layshaft. Thanks to Derek, who helped me with his mill and expertise. I rebuilt it with him and used nut/bolts to hold it together, per Tom G.'s recommendation. Tom recommended creating a small whole in the punch nut to catch the head of the rivet. Thanks Derek for helping with that.
Today, I riveted it shut using a palm nail gun (I highly recommend buying the MINI palm nailer for additional control and better view of the area you are working on) again per Tom G.'s recommendation. It went well.
Next step is to put the engine back together, which I hope to do in spurts in early mornings and late nights after my kids are asleep.