I received a couple referrals to Joe Deason of Bella Moto to complete the work. He was trained at First Kick (SF) back in the day. He has worked on GS's and SS's and owns his own SS180. The work will be done in SF so it's convenient.
The bike will be picked up on Monday and work will begin next week I hope.
Here is the note that went to Joe along with a small box of parts and the bike:
- All work on the bike is meticulously logged here so if you wonder about if anything was done then Google the part and “VespaRestortation” and it will appear at the very top of the list.
- Clutch & all parts & tools sealed in a Rubbermaid. Parts removed for work to be begin. Saves time. Also, spare brand new parts are included too.
- New Surflex clutch basket provided. Machinist trimmed hundreths of inch for free movement of plates.
- Grinding sound happens only between “neutral” & “first”
- Clutch has been rebuilt with both new needle roller bearings and all new everything, including NOS springs for SS180.
- Layshaft has been rebuilt twice with P200 kits
- Timesert (not helicoil) needs to be inserted into oil plug threads
- Electrical issue: headlight does not run (Paul S. thinks it may be grounding off)
- Crank taper may need to be filed at woodruff key score marks.
- Use very fine lapping compound to smooth out with clutch and crank.
- Selector need to be replaced? (Though there is a new Italian repop)
- Possible bur on crank?
- Measure between wings/? (can’t make out my notes) of cracks in case of bind. Time off due to assembly.
- Crank off at pin.
- Repop crux off and hitting
- Search for issues at 1st gear only as that is where the problem is.