Friday, May 16, 2008


A while back, before I was scooter shop snob and became a much more picky restorer, I ordered a horn gasket from Scooter Works. I know that Palmog ordered a gasket (from who I don't know) and the rubber was poor quality and actually ate away at his paint. I am going to keep a very close eye on this gasket to be safe.

When I look at the original gasket (pictured left) verses the new gasket (pictured right), I am bummed. They clearly look different. I need NOS for this. The stock one is much more intricate and pleasing to the eye-- not to mention the diameter is larger and fits 100% perfectly in the frame is was designed for. Luckily, this is something that is easy for me to replace later on.

Using a very mild abrasive pad I polished the rust off from behind the screw and made the horn shiny. I used compressed air to clean it out behind the horn grill. I decided not to sand the rust behind the grill too much because (1) I need to get the bike to the painter very soon for touch-up and (2) I didn't want to scratch up the exposed grill by reaching sand paper down there. I did use a tooth brush to clean off the surface rust.
If memory serves me correct, when sitting in front of the horn, I attached the white wire on the left and green on the right (pictured at the very top of this post). And I also covered the terminals in a protective connection grease, which will protect the terminals from the elements and also improve the electrical connection.

I used fine grit emery paper to clean up the pitted tops of the hardware for the horn, but I will replace the hardware to shiny stainless steel after I move back West this summer. I leave in early June. At this point, my take is I won't loose it if it's installed on the bike and if it's easy to replace late . . . then no big deal.

No comments: