Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Diary of a restoration

Email between Ted and me . . . a diary view of the restoration.

Ted,

Excellent! You should be receiving another shipment very soon – possibly on Tues or Weds.

1) Glad that those two shipments arrived so quickly. I will photograph the items when I see you on Weds.

2) Since the gas tank did dribble a little bit, we can use the new seal that I ordered for the fuel tap. That will stop the leak.

3) How easy will be to remove the engine to install the floor rail kit at this point? My concern is with all the wires/cables run it will be impossible to get the engine out to add the last (most difficult) curve to the floor rail kit on the floor board of the scoot and get those rivets punches and air tool’d in.

4) Glad the oil will go in the tranny tonight. If possible, as you put in it in can you ask Ginger to snap a photo or two of you putting it in for my blog? (if you have the camera at home?)

5) Wire harness hole above the air box: This last shipment will include all of the rubbers you should needs, but I wonder if you already have the frame to wiring grommet so you can run the wiring through that hole? What does the parts catalog show? I suspect the diagram ought to clear up that item.

6) Did open the air box and see where that Air Box grommet is supposed to go?

7) What are the six machine screws for in the junction box? To lock the wires down in place? I have two junction boxes so one of them should have all of the screws in it still. Only one screw is use to mount it to the engine cases.

8) Please remember that I have the entire tail light housing and wiring and it was professionally painted. It is in the box of painted items that you have. All I need is a round lens and I will try to order that today. We will want to install the “Super Sport” badge before putting the light in.

9) This last shipment will include all of the rubbers you should needs, but I wonder if you already have the frame to wiring grommet so you can run the wiring through that hole?

10) I’m wondering if we should focus on the floor rail kit this weekend and then get it running next week? Did you look at the “how to install” page on the floor rail kit I sent you. This parts is supposed to be an ABSOLUTE NIGHTMARE I have been told. The floor rail kit is designed for a different bike and we have to shape it ourselves for the two outer strips. Worse yet, many paint jobs have been destroyed doing this. I am MOST nervous about this install – more so than any other part of the Vespa. Inside that pick print out of my blog is about 4 different articles (not in a row) about the floor rail kit and how to install. Some people heat up the floor rail and tape up the paint job with painter’s tape and then use screws to let the floor rail kit set in place for a solid week, before mounting it so it can take the shape of the bike.

I suspect you received your gloves from me J

Thanks. Everything sounds great and I hope I cleared everything up.

It may be wise (to very carefully) go through the painted box and see what items are in there in case a part accidentally made it in that box.

Jeremy


-----Original Message-----
From: Witmer, Ted
Sent: Tuesday, March 25, 2008 10:00 AM
To: Sutton, Jeremy
Subject: RE: Good morning

Jeremy,

Wed is still good.

I received 2 shipments over the holidays.

1st was from CA and it was the little red indicator dot that goes into the speedo head.

2nd shipment consisted of:

choke throttle grommet
hook for center stand spring
fuel line grommet
grommet for steering lock
insulating sheath
speedo cable clamp (ferrel)

The oil will go in the tranny tonight and I would like to get the steering head on also.

The fuel tank assembly is in the tank and DOES NOT leak. The valve works; however, the gas just dribbled out. This may have been because I only had a small amount in the tank.

I figured out the grommets that go below the air box hose. The upper one is for the fuel line and the lower one is for the throttle and choke cables.

The upper hole that we thought was for the fuel line is for the wire harness – my best guess, anyway.

Once I get the choke cable end situated we should be OK with throttle/choke.

I have been looking for the small brass metric machine screws that fit in the electrical junction block. I only have 2 and should have 6. I went through all the boxes of spare parts to see if they were thrown in there – no luck.

I went to Lowes and Auto Zone – no luck on that but did find the tail light lens and housing for 9 bucks.

I think the screws are an M3 – very fine thread. I have one more source to try, yet.

My goal is to have this running by the end of the week. We are really close.

Ted


-----Original Message-----
From: Sutton, Jeremy
Sent: Tuesday, March 25, 2008 8:05 AM
To: Witmer, Ted
Subject: Good morning

Howdy Ted,

We still on for Weds. night?

It is possible that you will have the shipment I ordered on Friday in your Weds. mail.

I asked the most affordable place for a quote on Friday and spoke with them yesterday. They have not begun the quote. If it is not in my email when I get home today from work, I will order it from the most expensive place and have it ship out tomorrow. This will be the last of the pieces.

I did order a new seal for the fuel assembly.

Is there any other part that you identified me needing?

I spoke with a guy who is selling a complete 1979 running Vespa P200 for $800, but it was hit. He says it is fully restorable, but may or may not need a new fork or fender. If you & Ginger are interested, let me know and I can take a look at it with you. I bet he’d let it go for $700.

Jeremy

No comments: